Grammar School (founded in 1566 by ‘a local lad made good’) merged with the
neighbouring Elizabethan Grammar School at Blackrod (founded 1568) in 1875, the
result was the ‘new’ combined school on Rivington Lane, opened in 1882.
A decade later,
the fine stone Victorian façade was extended further by the building of a
beautiful memorial chapel, resulting from a tragic event. One of first boarders
at the new school was Frederic Marshall, of Bolton’s famed Magee, Marshall
& Co. brewing company, but Frederic sadly died after an operation at Bolton
Infirmary in 1887, aged just 17.
parents Daniel and Ellen approached the school governors offering funds to
build a chapel in Frederic’s memory, and this was promptly accepted with
enthusiasm and gratitude, with the chapel ultimately being dedicated on All Saints
Day (1st Nov.) 1892. Accordingly, this year the chapel celebrates its Quasquicentennial , or 125th
anniversary, a milestone which is to be marked by means of a special
thanksgiving service organised by the Association
of Old Rivingtonians (Founded 1904).
Three years ago,
augmenting the school’s Rivington
Remembers project (marking the centenary of the commencement of World War
I), the Old Rivs. researched and published the comprehensive history of this
lovely chapel for the first time. Struck by the many individual stories
encompassed in the chapel’s fabric, furnishings and fixings, the publication
was entitled Multum in Parvo (a great
deal in a small space), and this lavishly illustrated booklet revealed hitherto
unknown information, resulting from research into such aspects as the prolific Bolton-based
architect, and the nationally-renowned suppliers of the beautiful stained glass
windows, woodcarvings etc.
facts were unearthed, providing links between the chapel and such diverse
topics as Blackpool’s piers and the Russian Revolution, and the realisation of
some priceless British heritage shared with the Palace of Westminster.
service, to be held in the Chapel on
Sunday, 15 October (2:30pm) has been specially compiled to evoke (via a
series of tracts of text entitled ‘Reflections’)
aspects of the chapel’s fascinating story, and to underline the important role
the chapel has played in the life of the school, and the Association of its
former alumni, over 125 years. The service will be conducted by guest minister,
Rev. Gareth M. Thomas, and will feature two musical interludes by current
pupils at the school.
A commemorative Order of Service booklet has been
compiled, designed to serve as a permanent reminder of a significant
anniversary, from the perspective of both the school and the local community.
Sunday, 15th October 2017
Time: 2:30PM to 4:00PM
Location: School Chapel