Admission Criteria 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 (in order of priority):
All applications will be considered without reference to the order in which the school is expressed as a preference. Children who have a Statement of Special Needs (SEN) or Education, Health and Care Plan that names the preferred school will be offered places first.
The Council will admit up to 318 pupils. If the school is over-subscribed the following criteria will be applied to all applications in priority order.
1. Children in Public Care (Looked After Children) who are the subject of a full care order including adopted children who were previously in care and children who leave care under a special guardianship or residence order. A looked after child is a child who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services functions (see definition in Section 22(1) of the Children Act 1989).
2. Other children who are considered as “vulnerable” whose application for the preferred school is supported by the Assistant Director for Social Care. This will include:
- Children for whom there is a child protection plan or has been within a 12 month period.
- Children who have had a period in care within 2 years of the admission application and are still receiving social care services.
- Children who are considered to be at significant risk of becoming looked after.
- Children who are living in temporary accommodation due to fleeing violence / rehousing
3. Children who will have older siblings in years 7 to 11 of the preferred school time of application and the date of admission. Siblings can include full, step, half, foster and adopted brothers and sisters living at the same address.
4. Pupils who reside at an address which pays a “local parish precept” to Blackrod or Horwich Town Councils, unless at any time that number exceeds the published admission number in which case pupils will be offered places on the basis of distance from school as determined in priority 7.
5. Children who suffer from some medical condition or disability, which makes it better for them to attend that school rather than another. Places will only be offered under this criterion if the child has a certified medical condition with strong professional supporting evidence confirming that existing exceptional problems with the child’s health would be seriously exacerbated if a place were not made at the preferred school. Parents applying under this criteria must provide a letter from the child’s GP/Consultant setting out the reasons why the school is the most suitable school and details of the child’s medical condition. Medical evidence must be submitted by 31st October 2016. Evidence received after this date will not be taken into consideration
6. Any remaining places not distributed under priorities 1 to 5 the school will admit 20% on the basis of commitment to the Christian faith. Parents must complete the schools supplementary form as evidence that the family and the child are active worshipping members at a Christian church. Active worshipping members will be those persons who worship at least once a month sustained over a period of the year prior to the closing date for applications. The supplementary form is available from Bolton Council tel. 01204 332137 or can be downloaded from Bolton Council’s website or is available through the link here.
7. Proximity - Shortest walking distance to the preferred school minus shortest walking distance to the nearest/next nearest school plus 100 to create a ranking value. The lower the ranking value the higher the priority for a place. The nearest/next nearest school will include all community, voluntary-controlled, foundation free and academy schools whether in the Bolton Borough or not.
a) If any categories are oversubscribed then geographical proximity (as set out in category 7 above) will be used as a tie breaker. If the proximity value is equal then random allocation will be used as a tie-breaker. This will be carried out by an officer of Bolton Council independent to the school admission team
b) The shortest walking route will be that determined by the Local Authority using only those public rights of way recognised within the measuring system. This will be measured using Routefinder, a computerised mapping system which uses the ordnance survey integrated network which measures from the point on the highway nearest to the centre of the home property and the designated main entrance to the school. In the event of a tie-break within a block of flats those living furthest from the communal entrance will be given priority.
b) Where a single place remains at a school and the application being considered is for twins (etc.) the Council will allocate above the admission number to accommodate each child.
Number of preferences expressed for the school September 2016 - 626
How places were allocated for admission in September 2016
Children with a statement of SEN / EHCP
Criterion 1 (Children in care)
Criterion 2 (vulnerable children)
Criterion 3 (Sibling link)
Criterion 4 (Horwich and Blackrod)
Criterion 5 (Social/medical)
Criterion 6 (Christian faith)
Criterion 7 (Proximity)
Total number of places offered March 2016 - 318 The school was oversubscribed for admission in September 2016. When the offers were made 28 children were refused a place. After the offer day all children on the waiting list were offered places and any other requests for places were also offered. There were no appeals for the school. The number of children admitted into the school for admission in September 2016 was 305.
If you need free, independent and impartial support to
help you with the admissions process or more detailed information then please contact the Admissions Team on
How to Apply
We invite you to view our online prospectus below. If you would like a hard copy please call on 01204333266 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply online go to: http://www.bolton.gov.uk/website/Pages/Admissions.aspx, or if you need free, independent and impartial support to help you with the admissions process then please contact the Admissions Team on 01204 332137.