There are a wide range of enrichment activities on offer. These change annually and in recent years have included:
- Visits to a wide range of universities, including Manchester and Cambridge
- Attendance at the Royal College of Surgeons Conference at Keele University, for aspiring doctors
- Mentoring and careers guidance by a partner from a leading Manchester Law firm
- A partnership agreement with Lancaster University that involves a mentoring programme, residential visits and access to a special bursary
- A trip to New York and an exchange visit with families in Ann Arbour, Michigan
- Football and Netball in the North West England Colleges League
- Drama and music productions
- Placements in local primary schools and care homes
- Lancashire wildlife trust programs in local woods
- Leadership, mentoring and coaching opportunities
- Badminton, athletics, tennis and a range of other sporting opportunities each Wednesday
- Direct entry Gold Duke of Edinburgh, Trip to Krakow and Auschwitz
- Parliament, meeting our MP, sitting in on Prime Minister’s questions and a tour of the building.
The Sixth Form common room Bistro is open from 10am until 2pm and serves a wide range of hot and cold meals Sixth form students do not need to go to the main dining room to buy food. The Bistro will operate a system of finger print recognition cashless payments, which means that you will need to keep your account topped up. There is a paying machine available in the sixth form and payments can be made online via Parent Pay. There are also two vending machines in the common room, for hot and cold drinks. For details of menus and prices, please click here.
Rivington and Blackrod Sixth Form continues to thrive, offering you a safe and successful bridge between G.C.S.E. studies at High School and the independence of life at University and Work. We offer you personalised learning pathways and support and guidance in an adult environment which has the atmosphere and range of opportunities that you would expect of a College. Whether you have been a student at Rivington and Blackrod High School already, or are one of our many students from a wide variety of schools in Bolton and surrounding areas or even further afield, we will continue to support and guide your transition to a new way of learning and future success. Support is offered from a variety of sources including:
- Through your form tutor who acts as an adviser helping you to plan your future effectively.
- From a sixth form team of staff dedicated to your support and guidance about academic, personal, health or financial issues.
- Through our investment in enhanced facilities to support your learning, including study rooms which are staffed and well-resourced and study pods and we can offer you extensive access to computers.
- As a Rivington and Blackrod sixth former, you benefit from regular feedback and guidance, even in the summer holidays when you get your results.
In an ever changing world, your success may be determined by your ability to convince Employers and University staff that you have qualities in addition to those represented by your academic and vocational studies and qualifications. We have a wide range of activities on offer to our students and these include extra courses i.e.
- General Studies
- Further Maths
- Sporting activities
- Volunteer activities
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Visits including Oxford University
- Events including the U.C.A.S. Convention and Oxbridge Roadshow and taster courses.
We listen carefully to our students and our expanded facilities are evidence of this. We treat our students as adults and we have high expectations of all.